Monday 11 February 2008

In which P gets cross and then good news wins the day

DAY 5

Hurrah - no bleeding. Am now convinced it was the Doctor and her demonic swabbing.

Walking on the compacted ice is treacherous. We constantly slip and have to grab each other – I think my boots (proper hiking boots mind) are worse than K’s army boots. I can’t walk anywhere without looking at the ground – it’s so tricky. The walk to the stores or the tube is the worst. I can’t get used to the young exotic Russians walking about in their stilettos and ordinary shoes, although it does occur to me that the heels of some of them give them some purchase on the ice! The snow is fairly safe, but that is hard now too. We decide to go to the local mall. What a great place – I just love shopping abroad. My favourite treat is to forage around the supermarkets – I think you can always find exciting little buys there and you can learn a huge amount about how the people of a country really eat and live. K is delighted to go back to the store he bought the kettle – it’s a MASSIVE electrical & gadget store. K’s idea of heaven. Discover the Bouncer on the door won’t let us in unless we leave our bags in one of their secure lockers. Initially feel a bit miffed, but then realize it’s a great idea and leaves us free to walk around. Also, would cut down big time on shop lifting – can’t understand why they don’t do this in the UK.

l decide to buy K a camera for his birthday present, but am horrified when my card is rejected. I feel the cashier thinks I was trying it on, but fortunately K steps in and uses his. We go upstairs to the restaurants floor (all the malls we went to were set up like this) and I try to use my card again (I specifically informed John Lewis that I would be in Russia for the dates) to test it. No luck. So l phone John Lewis (at a shocking rate) and give them what for. NB don’t think that the phone number for International Customer Services, on the back of your card, will be the number you want..no, no, FAR too obvious. I was told (when I finally got through) they only deal with stolen cards. Since the number is on the back of the card I can only assume they expect the thief to drop them a line!!! Phone the ordinary Customer Services number and shout at them. They are completely unapologetic and burble something about another bank being at fault. Idiots. Resolve to stop using the card asap.

Then l phone Olga. Got straight through. 18 of the 20 eggs have fertilised.. 17 doing wel! Am told to bring T-shirt, socks and slippers for tomorrow and have to be there for 10.30. Went to supermarket K had discovered. As always, very interesting. Bought mugs for tea, vodka for J, slippers for me and a couple of gifts. Back to room and relax for an hour or so. Then down to restaurant in hotel for very meaty meal. Not bad but very expensive. A bottle of wine is average £50! Unbelievable. We had one glass of the cheaper wine – about £7 – and we were glad we didn’t have the bottle. Not pleasant, just drinkable. Have resolved to relax and allow myself the occasional single drink – with a meal – I am not going to get stressed and I am secure in the knowledge that alcohol (even in larger amounts) would and could not effect the outcome of our tx. 2 out of my 3 children were the results of a drunken parties. Get everything ready for tomorrow. One funny thing – the restaurant was completely empty except for us!

No comments: